Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Now . . . Shopping in the stores: Bitten

So . . . Yesterday I went shopping with my BFF.

We wanted to check out the Sarah Jessica Parker "Bitten" line of clothes because "Fashion is not a luxury. It is a right." (It is not just the truth. It is her slogan.) Before I talk about what I thought about the clothes, I will say that she is scheduled to be signing autographs at the Randhurst Mall in Mt. Prospect, IL on Friday, Aug 3rd at 2:00 PM. I wish I could be there to shake her hand. I have loved her ever since she was in Square Pegs when we both were children. (By the way, I think I saw Square Pegs on Comcast "On Demand" listed under "Tube Time.")

Anyway, Steve & Barry's partnered with her to create a really nice looking line of clothes for women of every age. Not one piece costs more that $19.98. To see the line you can take a look at their web page conveniently linked here.

The clothes look great. The fabric feels marvelous. This is important to me because I demand that my clothes are soft. Some people have accused me of shopping more with my hands than with my eyes as they watch me plunge my hands into the racks, pulling out whatever pleases my touch, then deciding if it looks good as well.

That said. My body may be weird. But, in the slacks I tried on, size 12's fit my hips and thighs but left that huge gap in the back by my waist. (Typical, I know, but I wanted so much more.) If I picked a pair of trousers that were sized so that my pockets didn't stretch, my back side gapped. Many of the more stylish t-shirts had strange gathers in the armpits. BFF is a size 4-6 and she had many of the same problems. It seemed to me that even though the clothes looked like they cost more that $20.00 on the hanger, they fit like discount clothes on the body.

That doesn't mean that I did not walk away from Steve & Barry's without purchasing something from the Bitten Sarah Jessica Parker Line. I did. I got a very nice blue t-shirt. I have to admit that I like the fact that the clothing line carries several different colors of t-shirt with several different neck lines in each color. And it is SOOO soft. I was just sorry because I had planned on restocking my entire fall wardrobe from her line, and all I was able to take home was one pretty great t-shirt.

No comments: