Friday, August 10, 2007

Yay for NASA!!!!


I am so happy to see Barbara Morgan on this shuttle mission. I'm not happy just because she is a teacher. I'm not happy only because she is bringing closure to what Christa McAuliffe started in 1986. This is not exciting strictly because she is 55. It is exciting because she seems to be living her dreams. I know several people who work for NASA, and I admire each and every one of them. They are smart, determined people who have the guts to persevere and realize their dreams.

From what I've read about Morgan, I would also admire her as a teacher in the classroom too. The Chicago Tribune published an article about her on August 8th that describes her as a teacher who rarely lectured, preferring her students to have a hands-on experience with her subject. I love a quote from her that was published in that article: "You can't really learn about something until you get a little bit on you." She is so right. I try everyday to bring a little of that to my students in my own classroom. I am almost apologetic when I have to lecture.

A colleague described her as "always looking for those breakthrough moments." She said that Morgan interviewed her students about what they wanted to know about space while she was going through the selection process for the original "Teacher in Space" program. Wouldn't it be nice to be known that way?

I'm just getting sick of all the coverage that talks about her in a tone that implies that the "real" astronauts are so kind to let her "help out" with some of the little tasks on the mission like operating the Robotic Arm. The woman has worked at this for 22 years! She is a full-fledged, completely trained astronaut. Her job is to operate the robotic arm. That is what she was trained to do. Give me a break. She's not "so cute." She is the Real Deal. (As an Astronaut and as an educator.)

Godspeed, Barbara Morgan. Godspeed, Endeavour Crew!

No comments: