Monday, November 12, 2007

The Box

In the past two weeks, I have had the pleasure to meet a couple of women who I have made an instant connection with. This is unusual for me, so I feel pretty good about it.

Both these ladies just felt right from the moment I met them. They are very independent women, intellectual, and they definitely come from a place well outside "the box." It has been a long time since I felt like I made a new friend. Maybe I still have hope of becoming secure about who I am and attracting people who appreciate the same things yet.


It was suggested to me the other day that the limitations I complain about and the box that I fight so hard not to be stuffed into are self-imposed. I do believe that is so. In the sense that I must willingly enter the box and must agree to stay imprisoned there. However, I do not believe that I constructed the box. I believe that it was there long before me.

I will say that I do not believe the box is as strong as it once was. It is no longer made of solid wood or antiqued pine. It is constructed of material closer to thick cardboard now and requires less effort for a woman to push out of, although, for me at least, it requires solid effort to stay out of.

Anyway, here's hoping that my instincts are right. I can always use more intellectual challenge in my life.

No comments: