Saturday, December 1, 2007

What is Age Appropriate?

I ask myself that question all the time. The horrible thing is, I never thought I would. I have always had my mother there to, very happily, tell me that I was not dressing my age.

It used to be that I was dressing too maturely: "You can't go out wearing that tight black mini-skirt and a lacey tank top. You are only fourteen! Do you want the boys to think you're easy?" Well . . . Yeah! Duh! But she would never buy that and she would follow me around 'til I changed.

A few years ago, shortly after my divorce it went like this: "Are you sure you want to go to your son's school play dressed in that black mini-skirt and lacey tank top?What do you think you are 20?" Well . . . Yeah! Duh! But she would never buy that and her voice would haunt me 'til I changed. Who ever said that dressing immaturely would be a problem? I live by my father's adage: "Dress young and act immature and no one will ever know how old you are."

My mother, maddeningly, was often right in her assessments. I can see that in hindsight.

Now I don't even need her. (Though she still will willingly offer her insight, if I ask her.) Every time I go out to buy a new outfit, I hear this voice say: "So are you really going to buy that? How pathetic are you? Do you think that will make you look even 25 again?" The voice (far harsher than my mother's) gets louder the more excited I am about my new look.

I believe my fashion barometer is slightly off because I work with a group of totally fashion conscious 17 year-old girls. My living example of "looking good" is what I see on these girls. I don't want to dress like a 17 year old, but a lot of the things they wear, I find very appealing.

Combine that with a total natural love of hip huggers and rayon and soft flowy fabrics and hippy things and I become a schizophrenic fashion disaster waiting to happen. The other day I got up (very early in the morning, thinking strictly of comfort to get me through the day) picked out a pair of black jeans; a purple, sort of tie-dyed long sleeved knit shirt; and a black, flowing sweater coat. I thought, in my half-groggy state, that I would pull it together with this green crocheted head band by scrunci.

I pulled it together alright. I pulled it all the way back to 1968. Then to top it off I had to go to an important meeting in the afternoon that I was not thinking about at 5 a.m. when I was dressing myself. Thankfully, most of the people in the meeting knew me, so my credibility was not absolutely lost.

But, my natural need for that hippy, artsy, creative look makes me wonder if I am turning into one of those middle aged hippy chicks that populate the arts community. They are very fine, down to earth, lovable women, and I would choose them over some other kinds of women every moment of the day, but I don't want to get pegged in that hole. Think Dharma's mom, Abby, on Dharma and Greg.

But, you know, that is not a bad stereotype to be put in, either. Maybe I have to just give in.

I have to start reading Brenda Kinsel again and get back in touch with where I want my image to head.

OH . . . Why won't the Fairy Stylist-Mother come wave her wand over my closet and give me clothes I look hot and impressive in, that are suitable for any occasion, and don't make me wonder what message I am sending to the world? That would be the best thing for me.

Anyway, I went looking around to see if others are having this trouble with being age appropriate. Kim Johnson Gross of More.com had this to say:

Our generation is redefining the concept of aging, just as we've redefined everything else. Style after 40 is not about competing with your daughters or dressing like the girl you were 20 years ago; it's about dressing like the girl you are now. If you prefer a scoop neck or a short skirt, how much of you you show is your decision. What really matters is that you feel as comfortable in your clothes as you do in your skin.

I like that conclusion. I forget that point a lot of the time. So many times I am fighting against this imaginary 25 year old that will steal everything I have if I am not vigilant. I am so afraid that my Honey, who fully knows how old I am and chose me over all the 25 year olds out there, will figure out that I am not 25, come to his senses and this wonderful life we have built will be gone. Where does that come from?

(Oh yeah! TV, Movies, the Internet . . . magazines, novels, the Bible. I need to make a note to myself to stay away from those things.)

I need to start having confidence in myself. Most of the time I do. I have a mantra that I recite when I start to feel down, or try to talk myself out of my Remodeling program. (It is still on-going, just not at the same speed as during the summer. I'm a bit busy these days.) I'm beginning to be more comfortable in my own skin and with my own likes and dislikes. I just have to learn to trust them and my instincts more.

I still have so many years of overcoming my Mother's voice to combat, and a lot of clothes she gave me with the assurances that they were far more appropriate than my tastes. (Remember she is very often quite right.)

Still I take heart in this quote from Kim Johnson Gross' piece:
The style-confident women I know say that the idea of age-appropriate dressing has no meaning for them; it's more about body-appropriate dressing. My friend Susan, an independent, creative mother of four, recently did a major purge of the dowdy clothes in her closet, most of which her mother had given her. "I kept them for years, thinking I would wear them when I turned 50," she says. "But 50 came and went, and I realized they still look dowdy -- and I don't."

1 comment:

Some Feisty Chick said...

I received this e-mail from Brenda Kinsel today:

Dear Feisty Chick,
Okay, I've never done this and I probably need some lessons but I saw the place to click to e-mail so I did it. (I've thought of blogging and see them and have never responded to them. This is the first.) My 5th book is out, BK's Fashion Makeover: 30 Days to Diva Style! and I have a google alert for my name to capture any press that's happening that I might not be aware of and POP came your blog entry today. I read it with great interest and enthusiasm and just had to share some ideas I was playing with this morning during my writing time. Maybe it will help. Before I start, I just want to say how lucky you are to work with teens and to be around their creativity in dress (and all things) and I can imagine that you would be very influenced by that. In relation to that, my sweetheart and I were shopping before Thanksgiving and we were looking at tablecloths. A woman was in there who had the most unusual, not-seen-in-nature hair color that went with everything she was wearing, from her eyeglasses to her outfit to her shoes and it was sort of a red-purple color with massive chunks of camel/caramel colored hair coming out of the crown of her head. Maybe you had to be there and it's something I could never explain to anybody (it's a look that probably works for less than .0005% of the population) but we struck up a conversation. I really admired her look and she explained that she worked in the art department with teenagers in high schools. Made perfect sense.

But back to this morning. One of the women I dedicated this latest book to is Marjory. In the past she's always gone for a craftsy look but as Lynn (the other woman I dedicated the book to) and I probed her about style, we discovered more of the dancer in her. She took classes from Martha Graham and dance was her major many moons ago. Marjory has this sensuality and elegance to her that you can't see when she's doing the crafty thing. Those qualities just don't have a voice in her look. We've been chatting about it and next month we're meeting at her house and doing some work in her closet with her. I saw her look in my head this morning in percentages. Here's how I see what she's been doing:
80% crafty
20% womanly, sensual

And I think she needs to reverse the percentages to get the right mix. It's like putting the right gas into your car in order for your car to run correctly. I'm going to suggest this:
80% sensuality
20% artsy/craftsy

So when you're looking at your own image, you might think about it in percentages. You may only need a dab of one thing (which may be an accent color in a scarf) or a big amount of something else that needs to be represented now (which for me is surprisingly, this whole ladylike thing -- who knew?) keeping in mind that small amounts of some things can speak loudly -- like leopard print gloves, and actually much more loudly as we get older. It's like we need fewer calories as we get older (drat) and it's similar in fashion. What we could pile on in our youth now takes less. Restraint is an interesting thing that I've been thinking about.

Anyway, your blog entry made me want to crystalize my morning thoughts. I love your writing style and the things you are writing about. More and more I am coming out of the closet about how much I believe that beauty cures all things. Keep talking about all this!

All my best,
Brenda Kinsel